Wednesday, April 18, 2007

some musings

Two completely different things that have nothing to do with 24.

First, the New York Rangers have defeated the Atlanta Thrashers tonight to sweep them into playoff oblivion. I cannot express my happiness. The Rangers hadn't won a playoff game in 10 years and then they blowout the series in 4 games. Amazing. I think the acquisition of Sean Avery helped a lot and of course my man Lundqvist layin it down as always. Hopefully, when I go home next Thursday (AAAHHHHHHH) I will finally get to go to a playoff game, since I have never been to one. It depends on the schedule I suppose. They just better stay sharp with all this time off they're probably going to have now.

Completely changing topics now, my roommates and I were just discussing the shooting that happened at Virginia Tech on Monday. (It actually kind of makes since that these are the two things that I'm writing about since they're the only news stories I've been following for about three days.) Anyway. With the more information we get about the guy who did it, it obviously makes everyone wonder if it could have been prevented. I feel like there isn't much you can do in these situations. There's been a lot of talk about the gun laws in our country. I've always been one to think that there is no reason for any private citizen to own a gun. I know why the Second Amendment was created in the first place, but British soldiers are no longer forcing Americans to house and feed them. I can no longer see any good reason for making it so easy for people to have these dangerous machines. But I also realize that the Second Amendment will never be overturned and gun laws probably won't be tightened. But if guns weren't available, people would find other ways to commit these mass murders. If someone is sick enough to have it in their mind to kill a bunch of innocent people, they'll find a way to do it. I just don't think we should make it any easier for them by making guns so readily available.

The thing that is so frustrating when these kind of events happen is that the people who commit them, is they say they have a "message" to send. And it's one of hate but that's never what is rememembered. It just bands people together and brings out the best in people because everyone does what they can to help. These things will always happen, but Americans will always bounce back and survive and reach out to each other, even if it's only for a little while.

No comments: