Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What have you done!?!??! -Jack Bauer


I found an article on msnbc.com that basically says exactly what I said at the end of my post yesterday. It makes the same argument that the writers might have blown some potentially good plotlines by getting rid of Jack's family so quickly.

After 12 hours, this season feels like the first few hours of any other season of “24,” where the show searches for a solid rope to climb up the rest of the season. Producer Howard Gordon has admitted as much, telling Entertainment Weekly that writers have “struggled much more with trying to find that big idea, and if you don’t find it, it’s like mining coal with your hands: It’s really bloody and it’s ugly.”


It's weird that the writers feel this way because I think nuclear bombs and Jack having a super-evil family are pretty big ideas. But all season there hasn't really been much talk about the bombs, well there has been but no one seems to be all that concerned. They're obviously the driving factor of all the action, but they still somehow seem in the background.

I think having Jack's family on the show could have shown us a lot about the character, why he is the way he is and how having his family involved could possibly change the decisions he would have to make during the day. But now Graem's dead and Poppa Bauer is MIA.

Oh well. There are still good things about this season, it is far from my least favorite and I have faith that the writers will be able to steer it back on track. I would still rather watch Jack Bauer shoot people and yell than watch most of the other progams on television.

2 comments:

Nicole S. said...

Didn't know how else to contact you. Thanks for the comment, it's always nice to get feedback. Also which books about Zodiac did you read, since it was based on two of Graysmith's books, because I'm interested in reading it!

Steph S said...

Poppa Bauer will be back!! I feel it.